The Mighty Pen

Sometimes I find it’s easier to write things down than to speak them.  I don’t know if that’s true for everyone but I know it is for me.  I love the written word.  I can express feelings and frustrations with little effort on paper, but verbalizing them would be extremely difficult.  Why is that?

I have been using Facebook, twitter and the likes for quite some time now and I enjoy the technology that enables me to keep up with friends and family whether far or near.  But sometimes I have been taken back by the lack of restraint in some of the posts (I’m also guilty of this).  I read some things and it is obvious that there may be more behind the words than is expressed.  Almost like a hidden meaning.  Some may even be a little offensive.

I guess there may be a “new found” courage that comes along with knowing you can simply type a few lines and send it out there and not really have to give account for what has been expressed.  I think we would all benefit from remembering that words are powerful both written and spoken and we are all responsible for those words and their outcome.  May we all write/speak words that bring about positive results; words that encourage and uplift.  Words can mend or break, build up or tear down, leave the reader with a smile or a frown.

Better yet, why don’t we try speaking a bit more? While it may be harder for me to express myself through spoken word, the fact that I’m accountable for what I say helps me to choose my words carefully. People understand each other more through body language associated with what they say. There is less misunderstanding and less hurt that way. I know from personal experience that words can “burn” especially when taken out of context. I will always continue to write but I will also make a conscious effort to speak out more.

Once again, this has been my 2 kobo… Stay blessed.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Akinjide OJO. Powered by Blogger.